Old July 17th 03, 03:45 AM
Rich S.

"Corrie" wrote in message
om...

It might be possible to screw up the gear with differently-massed
struts, wheels, brakes, tires, etc. so that the resulting natural
freqs synch up, yielding undamped divergent feedback. (Remember the
films of Galloping Gertie, the Tacoma Narrows bridge?) We had those
kinds of problems in my Statics and Dynamics classes back in college.
But they always made my head hurt. ;-)

Remember it? Heck I drive over it several times a week. It's still down
there - under the new bridge.

Rich, in the Emeraude plans, how specifically are the springs called
out? Do they specify the stiffness (or the spring constant, may be
the same thing), as well as the dimensions?

On the plans, the coil springs are dimensioned by size and material, i.e.
wire diameter, coil diameter, length & # of turns. The kicker is they call
out 4130 steel as the material - entirely inappropriate for gear springs.

Rich S.