Old February 2nd 04, 03:47 PM
R.Hubbell

On 1 Feb 2004 10:06:41 -0800 (Robert M. Gary) wrote:

I was involved in an effort to start a club from the remains of one
that died. I had a HUGE advantage in that I had a list of 100 members

The fatal flaw? Using the same list of members from the failed club.
Seriously you'd have been better off starting fresh. The failed-100
were the cause of the failure so it was probably not an HUGE advantage.
More like a HUGE anchor.

FBO rentals are usually scary. Clubs if run properly are better
maintained.

Look at the
http://wsvfc.org

R. Hubbell

of the old club to call on. However, it still didn't work out well. I
wanted to buy the Aerobatic plane of the old club and have it in the
club. I already own a Mooney so I wasn't looking for a daily flyer.
However, I found that renters (or at least the group of these guys)
are really, really, really cheap *******s. I heard comments like, "We
should be able to operate the Decathlon for $40/hr". Christ, you can't
operate a J-3 for $40/hr. When the time came to put up, I figured 15
or so people could buy in for $2k each (the old club was asking $30K
for theirs and it was in good shape with a near new engine, but fixed
prop). Hell, I spend more than that in gas for my Mooney a year.
However, the cheap *******s never come up with any money. In the end I
decided I'd be better off putting up around $10K and just getting some
partners (some of my best aviation experiences have been with
partners, its a wonderful way to own an airplane). In the end, I think
most people that are willing to help start a club really want a bunch
of cheap piece of crap Cessna 172s that they think they can operate
cheaper than an FBO. (an FBO usually has a huge advantage since they
are usually able to average 100/hrs a month per Cessna).

-Robert

"Casey Wilson" wrote in message ...
Hi all,

Which of these myriad rec.aviation.nnnn forums is best for questions (and
answers) about starting up a flying club?

Casey