Old February 10th 04, 07:30 PM
Robert M. Gary

Brian Burger wrote in message ria.tc.ca...
On Mon, 9 Feb 2004, A Lieberman wrote:

AES/newspost wrote:

snip

Anyway, I'm assuming that "Jackpot 1243" wanted to move up and down
freely between 39,000 and 41,000 feet seeking smoothest ride and best
fuel economy without having to make repeated requests; and Denver Center
was willing to approve this since nobody else was up that high anyway.

My first instrument lesson in IMC, my instructor and I went to the
practice area and he requested a block altitude of 2000 to 3000 so I
could practice climbs and descents. ATC approved without hesitation.

Likewise for aerobatics; we get 2000 or 3000ft tall blocks (3000-5000 ASL
or 3k-6k usually, and it's not a problem with Terminal.

One weekday when we were out Terminal cleared a floatplane below us (after
sending us up to 4000-5500ft and said to the floatplane: "... there's a
Citabria doing airwork above you, not below 4, and... well, I'm not sure
which way they'll be pointing in a minute..."

A true "block altitude" is usually for IFR or in class C,B airspace. I
don't know how ATC could "authorize" a block elsewhere. They may,
however, enjoy just knowing where you plan to be. However, a "block
altitude' implies that no one else will be assigned to fly into that
area when you are there.

-Robert