Old March 22nd 04, 09:50 AM
Kees Mies

Hi All,

After reading all the posts about my suggestion for turning indicators
it is not such a good idea.
But a horn... I would really go for it.

Every body knows about these guys strolling on the taxiway with
absolutely no intension to get out of the way.
In a car you honk them or give them a mighty roar from your engine and
make your car jump forward a couple of inches in a threatening manner.
First of all, my O-200 is not capable of giving mighty roars and
threat somebody with a running meat grinder is just soooooo not
polite.

Another nuisance in aviation in which a horn would be handy is
refueling.
One is waiting in line for fuel and you see a guy refuel and walk away
to pay instead of pushing his plane aside for the next one.
Ok, I think, not very thoughtful but I can live with that.
The very same guy returns –and this happens all the time- start to
load luggage, explain to his passengers what an aircraft is, take
photographs or even stay away to have lunch and not return for hours.
This really wants you to grab your tow bar, jump out and work him over
a bit.
A horn would do as well.

Don't understand me wrong, I'm very forgiving, patient and above all
not aggressive by default but some people's sole existence seems to
irritate others.
I guess these are the same people who block aisles with their shopping
trolleys or swarm four or five wide when they are cycling on narrow
roads.

I go off shopping now, to the supermarket with its crowded parking
lot.
Hmmmm. I need fuel as well.
Better check if my car's horn is in good working order.

Bye Kees.

P.S. It's Monday morning now, it figures.
P.S.P.S. I don' t give up on humanity (yet)