Old April 3rd 04, 07:56 PM
Richard Russell

On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 17:13:41 GMT, "Steven P. McNicoll"
wrote:

"Richard Russell" wrote in message
.. .

That statement is indeed true but I think most VFR pilots are aware of
that. What many are not aware of is what happens horizontally at the
outer border of the magenta vignette where the Class E with a 1200'
floor begins. This is not marked on charts in the northeast and
middle atlantic areas of the country.

It isn't marked anywhere in the country any more. It used to be, but blue
vignette showing controlled airspace beginning at 1200' AGL that abutted
magenta vignette was dropped a few years ago. It's now just understood to
be there. Grab a recent Sectional Aeronautical Chart, you'll find "Class E
airspace exists at 1200' AGL unless otherwise designated as shown above" in
the legend.

I was aware of the existence and configuration of all of the Class E
types, although I must admit when I was training I had one hell of a
time trying to figure it out. There are a number of CFIs out there
that either don't clearly understand it or cannot clearly explain it.

I was not aware of the note in the legend. Thanks for pointing that
out.
Rich Russell