Old April 7th 04, 10:11 PM
Hamish Reid

In article ,
Greg Esres wrote:

It typically takes me seconds to enter a new entry in our system.

Takes me several minutes. You have to reserve the times by clicking
on option buttons in 30 minute increments. Four buttons for a 2 hour
flight. I go click, click, click, click, and then wait. After a
second or two, one option button lights, pause, then the second,
pause, third, pause and finally fourth.

Well, that's a bad interface and / or implementation, but it's not an
argument against online scheduling as such. The browser-based interface
we use has a small set of pull-down menus on the reservation form for
start and end date / times, and that's it unless you want to add a note
(like destination, etc.). Maybe ten seconds to do a normal booking,
perhaps fifteen for a complex booking. The reservation is usually
confirmed within a second or two of submitting the form.

Another rather pleasant feature is being able to do a backup booking
"behind" an existing reservation; if the original booking is cancelled,
your booking automatically becomes the current booking, and you're
notified in email. And for sudden maintenance bookings -- where you may
have to drop a dozen existing reservations at a moment's notice --
things like notifications, etc., are trivial and usually totally
automated. Our maintenance guys just love this system...

Hamish