Old April 17th 04, 06:57 PM
darwin smith

Teacherjh wrote:

Did you know that truckers pay an average of $15,000* in highway taxes? What
do you pay for your car tax? And bicycles ride free (except on highways).
Shouldn't bicycles pay $15,000 in taxes to be fair?

Jose
* From a bumper sticker. I made the number up because I can't remember the
real one, which is five figures in any case.

In order to answer your (rhetorical) question, we need a bit more
information - things like
how many miles does the average trucker put on the highways each year,
and how many
miles do you put on your car? how much of the money spent on highway
maintanance due
to damage from trucks, and how much is from damage by cars? You know,
answers to those
trivial little questions that neither side of the issue likes to talk
about because of the risk
that people might understand the issue.

Rich Lemert