Old April 19th 04, 08:29 PM
Rick Durden

Don,

Ten years since the prop was overhauled??? Yikes.

I think you are getting an overhaul reminder. Could be a seal, could
be a crack...I suspect it's time. While the McCauley's don't have the
AD for overhaul every five years, ten years is a little long to go.
Those whirling chunks of metal are under terrific stress.

BTW, do some pricing on the overhaul. If you hit the situation where
you have to replace blades, also do some comparitive shopping as there
may be deals to be had on the new three-blade props for your airplane.

All the best,
Rick

DP wrote in message . ..
On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 01:11:32 GMT, Mike Adams
wrote:

"Newps" wrote:

"Peter Duniho" wrote in message
"DP" wrote in message
[...] Sure enough, it sprayed a small amount of red hydraulic oil
on the prop and on the top cowl.

Odd. I would've assumed a 210 would have a similar prop governor
design

other piston singles, using engine oil to control the prop.

They do. The guts of the prop use a red colored oil so you know when
they start to leak. All constant speed props do this.

I checked into this awhile back and learned the same thing. The McCauley
props didn't have it originally, but there's now a mandatory service
bulletin to fill the hub with the red oil/grease. This provides an
indicator of leaks, but also causes the prop to need service more often. I
was told the grease would stay in place for about 5 years, and then the
prop would need to be overhauled, or resealed again.

Well, this is starting to make sense then.....it's been 10 years since
the last prop overhaul......

Mike

Don Paquette
PP-ASEL