Old April 23rd 04, 09:39 PM
Peter Gottlieb

"Tony Cox" wrote in message
nk.net...
Now I don't understand the logic. What does a UAV provide
that a 182 doesn't? Is it significantly cheaper to keep in the air?
Do the "team of 7" work for less money than a pilot and a
spotter? Now that's scary....

Surely you can understand how a UAV and support team are much more efficient
at going through taxpayer money than a 172.

Perhaps it is another pork barrel project, or some company has friends in
high places. Because, if they put out the ACTUAL job of searching for
illegal crossings I would find it very hard to believe that it couldn't be
done by a small fleet of properly equipped 172's or 182's and a reasonable
staff of pilots and observers.

Heck, why don't they try giving the job to CAP and see how well that concept
works?