Old June 29th 04, 01:36 PM
Henry and Debbie McFarland

Do you do 'running' run-ups?

Yes. If you attend any of the major fly-ins your run-up will be a rolling
one.

Deb
--
1946 Luscombe 8A (His)
1948 Luscombe 8E (Hers)

"G. Burkhart" wrote in message
When I did my training my CFI taught me to stop at the run-up area and
go through the run-up checklist. This was done at airports that had run-up
areas readily available. Fairly recently, I went with an instructor that
taught me to do a run-up during taxi on airports that don't have a run-up
area or require back taxi on the runway. Some of the local airstrips have
narrow (or no) taxiways and they lead right to the runway with little room
to stop to do a run-up so I've gotten into the habit of doing the run-up
while taxiing. I make sure to check outside to where I'm going while
checking the mag drops, etc. That way I'm ready for departure by the time

get to the runway, which is helpful when others are following behind me on
the taxiway, especially during fly-ins. Some airports require back taxi on
the runway from the ramp/taxiway and I'll do the (stopped) run-up before
getting on the runway or a run-up during the back taxi so I'm ready to go
when I turn around for departure.