Old July 20th 04, 02:50 AM
BTIZ

yes... actually that resurfacing would have been about that time..

I left ASH in 1982 and the new tower was not open then..
I was at NEAI/DWC from 1974-1977, earned my Private ASEL through NEAI in
1974

BT

"Ron Rosenfeld" wrote in message
On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 23:10:54 -0700, "BTIZ"
wrote:

when ASH was non towered.. the use of the old grass strip to the east of

the
runway was a normal occurrence.. and even more so when the runway was

closed
for resurfacing.. and then the heavy twins would use the taxiway.. with

lots
of radio calls... but way back then.. there was nothing north of the ASH
tower.. NOTHING but the taxi way to the north end..

That resurfacing must have taken place prior to '76.

But even now, the grass on the NE side of the runway still gets used from
time to time. But they don't keep it up they way they used to.