Old July 22nd 04, 01:31 PM
Michael

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote
Just a quick look with Yahoo turned up the Morane Renault, Zoche, and Jabiru engines
- all new designs with separate cylinders.

A Jabiru is an all-new design? Looks loke a Lycoming shrunk to take
advantage of better metallurgy. Besides, it's a certified engine in
Australia, and I bet they have their own version of the FAA modeled
largely on ours.

I've been hearing about Zoche for years - long before I ever heard of
Thielert. Thielert now has actual production engines on actual
production aircraft. How about Zoche?

In general, separate cylinders are advantageous for air-cooled engines and blocks are
preferred for water-cooled designs, but this is not a universal rule.

I don't agree that it's a rule at all. If it were, we would see
separate cylinders SOMEWHERE outside aviation. And no, engines of
less than 4 cylinders don't count.

Michael