Old August 16th 04, 08:26 PM

Many years ago I had an Aeronca Sedan on Edo 2000s. It took a big day
each time to change the floats for the wheels etc. We lifted the
airframe by the engine mount using three 4 X 4s as a tripod, although
looking back on it I wouldn't recommend that from a lifting stress
standpoint.

Don't plan on landing on wet grass with floats. I have heard that
dewey grass is more slippery, but a lot of float planes have ended on
their backs after such a stunt.

We built a three wheeled (a non swiveling nose wheel worked well)
dolly for the spring takeoff from a hard surface runway, using a drag
chute to stop the dolly after liftoff. In the fall we ramped it extra
high on shore and converted it to wheels after freezeup, flying it off
the ice back to a field to get it worked on.

The first consideration on a float plane is where are you going to
keep it. Hull insurance rates are outrageous. A cousin of mine was in
the aircraft insurance business, and among other things insured four
float planes. In one summer he lost all 4 of them!