Old September 21st 04, 03:19 PM
Mike Rapoport

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
news:CGU3d.79848$MQ5.5765@attbi_s52...
But, despite your barb on the instrument pilot, you have to remember

that
you are only half a pilot without the instrument rating.

Hrm. I would strongly disagree with that.

Don't worry, Dylan -- he always likes to throw that "I'm an instrument
rated
pilot" around, like it's some sort of badge of courage.

Although I don't agree with the "half a pilot" statement as the manner of
presenting the gist of the sentiment, the basic intent of the statement,
which is to infer a certain degree of increase in proficiency as a pilot
by going through the process of obtaining the instrument rating (even for
a VFR pilot) is entirely in line with the thinking of the professional
flight instruction community.

I've safely flown from one end of this country to the other, for almost
ten
years, VFR. In most cases (as was the case with the fellow in the 182),
an
instrument rating would not help much in my Pathfinder. I'm simply not
going anywhere in ice, snow, or storms in my current steed, regardless of
who is pilot in command.

Now, if I had the wherewithal to own a Pilatus, King Air, or something
equally weather-capable, THEN the IR would be a true value -- and I'd
have
one.

Until then, however, getting the rating would only be a fun diversion
from
what I'm supposed to be doing.

I would disagree with you on this, simply based on your propensity for
extended cross country flights in VFR conditions. It's true that you can
do this VFR continusly for protracted periods and experience no problems
as you have done, but the "professional" advice from me anyway would be
for ANY pilot flying the type of schedule you like to fly ; along the
routes you seem to favor; should absolutely consider seriously, the option
of obtaining an instrument rating.
Flying extended cross country VFR, especially over mountainous
terrain.....you just never know when all that instrument training might
come in handy some day. But then again, that's just my opinion. You of
course would be the final judge about what's best in your individual
situation.
Dudley Henriques
International Fighter Pilots Fellowship
Flight Instructor/Aerobatics/Retired

I agree with Dudley, getting the rating will improve your skills and if you
require the rating for five minutes over the course of your flying carreer,
then it will be worth it. Since you have your own plane and already fly
frequently with your pilot-spouse, cost and time to get the rating and
maintain proficiency will be minimal. It will probably only take 10hrs or
less with a CFII some of which you would need for a biannual anyway. I
didn't need a commercial certificate but getting it was fun and my VFR
skills improved. I don't need an ATP but I am getting it because there are
a number of flight regimes I rarely do in the airplane (single engine
instrument stuff mostly) and I have already learned a few things by studying
and taking the written. Never miss an opportunity to improve yourself.

Mike
MU-2