Old September 23rd 04, 02:35 AM
Robert M. Gary

Richard Russell wrote in message . ..
I don't have an opinion either way on this issue because I don't have
any personal knowledge (I know, that's no excuse on Usenet). I will
say this, however. The language in the manual would not by itself
convince me that a conventional spin recovery was impossible. The
fact that the manual requires the immediately deployment of the
parachute is a reflection of the fact that Cirrus did not go through
the spin recovery certification process and therefore cannot recommend
a conventional spin recovery technique. As far as I'm concerned the
language in the manual is what it is for legal reasons and does not
definitively support either side of the issue regarding the
possibility of recovery.

After speaking with the test pilot from Mooney I was surprised how
much of the POH comes from marketing and legel and how little comes
from engineering and test pilots. That's one reason cruise speeds
don't seem to work out. Cruise speeds come from marketing.

-Robert