Old October 15th 04, 01:36 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Teacherjh" wrote in message
It's the part of my message that you snipped.

No it's not.

Yes it is.

Ok, let's not play games.

....He says, just before he starts playing games.

Here's the OP relating to the purple heart:

===

Subject: Pilot deviations and a new FAA reality
From: Larry Dighera
Date: 10/13/04 7:28 AM Eastern Daylight Time
On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 01:32:38 -0400, BuzzBoy
wrote in ::

The FAA is filling up with incompetent minorities
That is your big problem

Don't all government employees have to pass the same employment test?
FAA applicants are only given 5% for prior military service and an
additional 5% for a Purple Heart, so there can be a maximum 10%
advantage given to those applicants. But other than that, the playing
field should be level.

===

You then ask:

What in the previous message suggested points were given for getting
injured?

... in your message:

===
From: "Steven P. McNicoll"

Date: 10/14/04 1:47 PM Eastern Daylight Time

"Robert Briggs" wrote in message

Don't all government employees have to pass the same employment test?
FAA applicants are only given 5% for prior military service and an
additional 5% for a Purple Heart, so there can be a maximum 10%
advantage given to those applicants. But other than that, the playing
field should be level.

Modest credit for prior military service seems fair enough (if it
is *relevant* service, at least), but how does *getting injured*
make you a better candidate?

What in the previous message suggested points were given for getting
injured?

===

In order to get a purple heart, you must have been injured. (it must have
been
under specific circumstances, but for now this is irrelevant). The
context of
"getting injured" in this post is military. The context implies (though
it
does not require) combat. The purple heart requires combat, but that's
irrelevant to the question being asked.

Whether in combat or not, receiving an injury does not make one a better
candidate. It can be argued that being in combat makes one a better
candidate.
I won't argue that either way. I see it instead sort of as a reward for
service and an apology for injuries. Whether this is good or bad I won't
argue
either.

In any case, the quote from the OP was not in the part of your message
that I
snipped.

ObAviation - went up leaf peeping from DXR to the Catskills. The DXR area
was
still pretty green as was much of the Hudson Valley, but the Catskills
were
gorgeous. Not much wind either, so I could fly low over the mountains.

Jose