Old October 28th 04, 06:11 AM
Ben Jackson

Default Best cell phone / plan for pilots?

I have a Nokia 8260 on an AT&T plan. That phone does AMPS 800 (analog)
and TDMA 800/1900. It's got coverage almost everywhere, which is why
I have not upgraded it for almost 4 years. The only airport I've ever
flown to where I didn't have coverage was Trinity Center, CA (O86) which
is in a bowl of hills in the middle of nowhere. Even there I allllmost
had a signal.

I'd like to get a new phone, but I really don't want to give up the
coverage. My friends with tiny, week-long-battery-life GSM phones love
them when they're in town, but often have no coverage when they stray
more than a few miles from a city or a major highway.

Can any of you suggest plans that have good coverage at out of the way
airports? Basically I want to land anywhere that's paved and be able
to call home or flight service.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/