Old August 12th 04, 03:07 AM
Capt.Doug

"Vaughn" wrote in message Cute; but I kind of lost my enthusiasm for the
concept after one pranged at
Oshkosh one year in front of the entire airshow crowd. It ended up nearly

at
the crowd line following an apparent engine failure on takeoff, and was
quickly bustled into its covered trailer out of sight.

That accident was caused by improper handling of assymetric thrust. A pilot
with only a single-engine rating could fly a multi-engine plane if the plane
was registered as an experimental. This accident was a supreme act of
condescension for the laws of aerodynamics, not a betrayal by the design.
Any pilot that is proficient in multi-engine operations could have avoided
that accident.

There were some other accidents attributed to the North American builders
replacing roller bearings with plain bearings in the aileron attach points.
The plain bearings wore out quickly and control surface flutter quickly
ensued. I don't find fault with the design because of modifications made
after the design was released.

D.