Old March 12th 04, 11:48 PM
Michael

"Chief McGee" wrote
OK, here is the situation: Building an ultralight helicopter. If it comes
out to weight more than 254, can I legally fly it above my own land. I have
10 acres in the country, no ARSA, no controlled air space, no license. Can
the FAA tell me I can not hover it one foot off the ground if I am on my
land? How high up is mine? Just wondering.

Legally, no you don't own your airspace. If your ultralight
helicopter comes out to 255 lbs or more, you need to register it as
amateur built, get a pilot certificate, etc - even to fly it at 100 ft
over your own land.

Realistically, even if it comes out overweight, as long as it's not
BLATANTLY overweight nobody is going to notice or care. Most
ultralights are overweight anyway. As long as it's single seat, has a
5 gallon tank, and generally looks small nobody is going to bother
you.

If you decide to teach yourself to fly it, make sure someone is
shooting video.

Michael