Old August 10th 03, 03:35 AM
Dr. Anthony J. Lomenzo

Peter Duniho wrote:
"Michael Learner" wrote in message

Really? I've heard many real pilots say it is nothing like the real
thing and is not a suitable training tool. Come on, we are talking
about table based flight models here, FS series is just a game with
pretty graphics. A rather boring one too.

Given the wording of your post, I'm guessing you're just trolling, but just
in case you're serious:

Just depends on what you're using it for. The flight models aren't
accurate, and without motion and a wrap-around view, it's missing a lot of
what you get in the real thing. But as others have pointed out, it's
extremely useful for practicing procedures. Since the instruments all react
pretty much as they would in a real plane, it's especially useful for
instrument training, but even for visual stuff, just practicing pattern work
can get a student used to the concepts involved (full power for takeoff,
power reduction at pattern altitude and again to descend back to the runway,
proper flap settings, pattern legs, etc.).

Pete

Agree...and a 'thing' of mine for years. It [flight simulation] has a
decided ADJUNCT value to the real McCoy. I do both [as I know you do
Peter and various others in RAS who hold FAA tickets ...you too
Al!...the helo beckons!]--- let's not forget this too: pick up virtually
any av mag for the real deal and you'll see simulations ["On Top" et
al...] that are of decided benefit with regard to IFR procedures, indeed
[proper] comm procedures when the ATC brethren are in your future and a
host of others real-time areas as the level of sim [and avionic
electronic reproduction --and-- true to life usage therein on the
monitor] sophistication steadily increases.

As learning tool...an adjunct...I believe it has a decided place in
conjunction with the real thing. Interesting in a recent satellite TV
show, there were aircraft carrier military pilots practicing the
procedures on...you guessed it...flight sim programs [so too--how about
Oklahoma City and those budding ATC folks 'first' getting their feet wet
with Doc Wesson's ATC sims!?] and these were NOT the full motion
varieties either. Further, albeit admittedly with full motion, it is
'still' the standing ATP requirement that a sim session be passed yet
keep in mind the essential focus of the sim is to purposely simulate
'surprises' and hence 'procedures' because it is already assumed that a
left seat Captain already has the savvy with regard to basically flying
the plane! Think about it! Did I mention that moon landing sim when that
was all that was available since we had no prior moon landing
'experience', yes?

THEN, it's also a matter of cost and economic realities. I'd LOVE a
Cirrus SR 22 bird...love it...but, ehhhh, you got $375 thou' to spare?
Then we'll talk dual bangers and jets. And those damnable egg beaters!

Doc Tony