Old August 26th 03, 03:06 PM
Andrew Warbrick

No, ground speed is supposed to be GPS ground speed,
'Avg Leg' is supposed to be achieved ground speed for
the leg (which appears to work properly). Unfortunately,
if it worked, ground speed would be the best option
for final glides in wave where you can be covering
100km or more at a fairly constant speed in a straight
line. The ETA can also be based on macready speed,
the average for the whole task or a manually entered
speed.

BTW, the problem is with Winpilot, not the Volkslogger
because the same happens to me using a Colibri, I guess
a unit conversion factor gets applied wrongly somewhere.

I have a feeling the same, incorrect, ground speed
might be being applied to the calculation of L/D in
the nav box, the value is frequently less than I would
expect when flying in good or still air and also less
than the value a quick mental calculation gives (ie.
cruising for a minute at a fixed airspeed and dividing
the airspeed by the average sink rate).

At 12:48 26 August 2003, Chris wrote:
Is the ground speed supposed to be the current speed
OR the average
achieved groundspeed for the leg or last 30 minutes?

The second will be a lot lower than the first if you
spend time
thermaling.

The ETA could be based on either of these.

Chris