Old December 10th 03, 07:13 PM
John Smith

The release without turning is not a recommended method as such and does =
not replace a (climbing?) turn where local club rules require that the =
glider turn in a specific direction after tow. The aim , I believe, is =
to show that a highly banked and fast climbing turn is not required as =
it is this scenario that causes tug upsets when the glider pilot has not =
ensured that the tow rope has actually released prior to initiating the =
turn. As a tug pilot myself I know which method of release that I would =
prefer particularly if the rope hangs up on the glider. If the club =
rules specify a particular direction of turn this may be due to the =
position of the mirror on the tug or for other similar visibility =
reasons. This exercise shows that after the rope is released a gentle =
climb is all that is required to achieve separation. It can be combined =
with a turn in either direction.