Old December 25th 03, 12:57 AM
Ted Wagner

Default Newbie seeking glider purchase advice -- II

Thanks to everyone for the informative feedback.

I did forget to mention my experience level, and it seems to be relevant to
the question. Assuming I've made no errors in my Excel electronic logbook, I
have 137 flights and 35 hrs as of this afternoon, 93 and 23:30 of them solo;
78 in a 2-33A, 18 in a 1-26E, 21 in a G-103A, 16 in a 1-36, and two in an
ASK-21. This weekend I get checked out in the Pilatus B-4 and Genesis-2.
(Just kidding. But they sure are Purdy.)

One place I still need help is the different classes. I've yet to find a
place that lists and describes them (I've even surfed the FAI/IGC
documents). World Class? 15m? Standard class? Unlimited class? Outclassed,
underclassed, late for class? Help!!! (This is where I could use a goodly
stack of Soaring magazine back-issues, I guess.)

Also, I'll be trailer-parking the bird at Turf or Estrella, I'm 5'11", 170
pounds, and able to lift fairly heavy pieces without assistance. (But I
would like something easy to put together.) Again, I'm most interested in
pursuing x-country, and competing as soon as I'm ready.

Thanks again to all,

-ted