Old December 29th 03, 10:44 PM
James

I do not know where to get them, but I wanted to post the following
safety issue about rudder pedal "S" tubes:

Years ago as a student pilot, I observed a solo Grob 103 driver sit in
the cockpit and check for free movement of the control surfaces during
his preflight inspection. Wanting to learn as much as possible, I
watched standing at the rear of the glider as the rudder swung from
the right and then to the left. It seemed odd to me that the rudder
had stayed to the left after he checked his controls. I told him
about the rudder before he moved into take off position. When he
opened the canopy I looked down at the rudder pedals and didn't notice
anything until I reached around and behind one of the "S" tubes and
nearly cut my finger on a sharp edge. Apparently, the rudder cable
sawed through one of the bends in the "S" tube and wedged itself in a
"V" shaped groove it cut. The lesson I learned was not to rely upon
visually inspecting the rudder pedals but also feel behind them. This
is less of an issue on gliders where there is a plastic tube inserted
in the "S" tube around the rudder cable.

"mike maskell" wrote in message news:Yz_Hb.856164$pl3.731380@pd7tw3no...
I am doing an inspection of a Krosno, and have found that the forward rudder
cables, where they go through the "S" tube to be frayed (several). I would
like to replace them, but cannot find a North American equivalent ( I am in
Canada).

Has anyone a source for the cables, the eye-ends, and the left and right
hand threaded ends that mate to the turn-barrels.

Thanks

Mike