Old February 10th 04, 06:11 PM
Dave Houlton

This parachute discussion has me thinking about the rocket-deployed
chutes we used to have for hang gliding, and the BRS systems now in
Cirrus (Cirrii?) and small Cessnas. Probably no improvement w.r.t
weight or cost considerations, but for convenience, comfort, and "always
there when you need it" they would seem ideal. I don't actually know
the repack requirements, but I would guess they're annually or even longer.

Are there any gliders out there today with whole-ship BRS-type chutes?

Dave

Mark James Boyd wrote:
Bill Daniels wrote:

In a word, weight.

Er...price. $50 every 120 days = $100 per soaring season =
$1000 over ten years.

And rigs that get old get hard to find someone to pack them.
And there are chute AD's. $$$$s to be legal...

I saw a place in AZ, USA that does rig training for $525.
Assuming the test is $250 and materials $250, maybe one is better
off getting the license and just doing it oneself...cheaper
in the long run...

http://www.skydivemarana.com/rigging.htm