Old March 26th 04, 07:32 AM
K.P. Termaat

Hi guys,

Thanks for the discussion. Once one has exceeded Vne a choice must be made
by the pilot of either pulling the airbrakes or put some backpressure on the
stick or do both. We know the dramatic outcome of the Nimbus 4DM at Minden a
couple of years ago when doing the latter. Probably I would go for only
putting some backpressure on the stick and have the max g-load number for
the wing available. Hopefully the wing will survive flutter that may occur
and will not destroy the whole wing. Some years ago I saw and heard a tail
of a Cirrus move about heavily in a too fast fly by, but the glider survived
with minimum damage.
However the above is not my concern. I am worried about a possible means to
avoid Vne to be exceeded after recovery when the glider is still in its
spinning (rotation) mode. The idea is to pull the airbrakes even before the
rotation has stopped.

Karel, NL

"K.P. Termaat" schreef in bericht
Hello Erik,

Yes that's what my handbook says for my Ventus-2cxT also.
I guess however that when recovering from a spin using the standard method
(or the more advanced one including a bit of aileron) that then Vne will

be
exceeded after rotation has stopped and pitch angle is something like 60°.
To avoid this the idea is to pull the brakes even before the rotation has
stopped. But I am worried about that.

Karel, NL

"Erik Braun" schreef in bericht
K.P. Termaat wrote:
Yesterday evening I talked with a friend about avoiding excessive

speed
when
recovering from a spin in a modern low drag glider with the somewhat

larger
span.
He came up with the idea of pulling the airbrakes when still

recovering
from
the rotating mode. I am not sure this can be done without disturbing

the
recovering action or without hurting the glider.
Any comment will appreciated.

Karel, NL

Pulling the airbrakes is what most handbooks say on this subject. But if
you're already very fast I'd do this carefully.