Old April 5th 04, 03:50 PM
rjciii

Jack wrote:

"What's your point: that the civilian contractors are a bunch of loose
cannons -- or that the USAFA simply hasn't figured out how to manage the
program?"

Hardly. The intent was to inform that the maintenance is not performed
by the military. Perhaps it should be. But I can say I have never
seen any better maintained aircraft throughout either my military or
airline tenure. I can state that the paperwork B.S. has been
exponentially much greater throughout my civilian flying career.

USAFA not properly managing the program? As with any large scale
endeavor of such a large organization fraught with overmanagement and
a multilevel bureacracy, the USAFA soaring program has had its moments
of inefficiency. But all in all, no soaring program in the world has
soloed greater numbers in the last twenty years--about one thousand
per year--plus training dozens of instructors per year, plus
aerobatics, wave, and cross-country.

"...it looks very bad that the most advanced and powerful Air Force
in the world cannot handle a few dozen gliders in a non-essential program
that it also refuses to drop."

I'll address the latter part of your statement first. You say
"non-essential". I say inextricably associated with the mission of
the Academy. Annapolis teaches its Midshipmen to sail. West Point
lets their Cadets drive tanks. What would you have the "Air" Force
Academy do to relate its mission to those who attend that military
institution? I truly find it hard to believe that anyone who has an
interest in soaring (since you obviously frequent this forum)
genuinely supports ceasing the world's largest soaring operation that
exposes thousands of participants to the sport each year.

"...refuses to drop." Not the Air Force's call--something related to
the concept of civilian control of the military. The USAFA soaring
program is mandated by the Academy's congressional oversight
committee. This committee decreed in the early eighties that every
sophomore Cadet would be exposed to flying (even if that Cadet was to
be assigned a non-flying job upon graduation) by being given the
opportunity to solo a glider. If anyone really wants the program to go
away I suggest writing to one's congressman.

"A great motivator is it? How motivational is it"

Another interesting question/comment coming from someone who I assume
has a mutual interest in soaring. Although most probably a very
individual question, I pesonally don't recall ever seeing a single
Cadet who wasn't thrilled with the prospect to get away from the
intensity of their otherwise overcontrolled and overscheduled life for
a chance to fly in a glider. I just had a young friend of the family
graduate from USAFA and is now in jet flight training, and all he
could talk about for four years was how excited he was to be involved
in the soaring program. Who with an interest in aviation would
consider such an opportunity to not be motivational? My soaring club
has as members two USAFA grads/ex-cadet soaring instructors who swear
they would not have stuck it out at the Academy if it weren't for the
soaring program. I read in almost every issue of "Soaring" magazine
where some young person just having soloed and has the goal to fly
gliders at the Air Force Academy.
Yes, I think it damn important to have flying oriented programs
offered at the "Air" Force Academy.

Non-motivational with the program's recent history of on again, off
again?
Disaapointing--yes, non-motivational--hardly.
Would it be more motivational if the program was outright canned?
I think not. Kinda the same perverse mentality as the old addage
"All leaves are cancelled until morale improves".

Can the Academy do a better job of managing the program? Sure.
But in this case the best course of action is not to fly until the
paperwork is in order. Let's not overreact and cut off the foot to
spite the toe.

"Yes, indeed, a real bunch of warriors, those Air Force Academy graduates"

I don't see where this sort of comment is condusive to a discussion on
a Soaring forum about the Academy's soaring program. I can cite many
names and many instances of U.S. Air Force Academy graduates who have
distinguished themselves in combat situations, and many, many more who
have honorable served their country, some to the degree of the
ultimate sacrifice. I'm sure these true warriors and their families
don't at all appreciate that you infer otherwise.

RD