Old May 6th 04, 06:06 PM
Greg Arnold

BllFs6 wrote:

5% of the sun's energy is a big problem

Do the cals and get back to me....

And dont say the but the canopy is HUGE....because size in this case doesnt
matter

Within reason, the ONLY parameter that makes a difference in melting/burning
something using the sun and a lens or a mirror is the F ratio.....ie the focal
length of the lens/mirror divided by effective diameter....

The focal ratio of my canopy is about 1 when it is reflecting light onto
my glare shield

And to get stuff hot enough that number needs to be around 2...give or take
...and that assumes a very high transmission/reflection number....drop that
number to 5 percent and no real problem...unless your target is a dark
chocolate bar....

Now bring that number back up to MOSTLY transmitting or reflecting and
poof.....hence worrying about grazing reflections....

Now, you may not believe me....but the "hotness" of the "burn spot" doesnt
really matter (to first order) whether I have a lens/mirror 2 inches across or
60 inches across....only the f ratio matters...

take care

Blll