Old May 8th 04, 07:44 PM
Tim Ward

"Mark James Boyd" wrote in message
news:409c7a04$1@darkstar...
Doug Taylor wrote:

very low “hassle factor” of the SparrowHawk combined with

Well, I'm glad to see that "hassle factor" has become a
sales point and catch phrase in gliding. As a soaring consumer,
it's wonderful to see someone else talking about this rather than
the less-important-to-me performance...

Yeah, I know, but what about the trailer? :P Gotta have
a good trailer, right? :P
--

------------+
Mark Boyd

Now, I'm not saying this is smart for the investment you'd have in a
Sparrowhawk, but I'll bet you could cartop it on a van or SUV:

Wings, @ 40 lbs each, strapped upright into something like the foam brackets
used for kayaks.
(or horizontal, one on top of the other, with foam shucks in between)
Fuselage, @ 75 lbs, inverted with the cockpit rails and boom on padded rack,
rudder hanging down in the back.

You'd probably want two people to load the fuselage.
Canopy would have to go inside, though.
We used to carry 4 or 5 80-lb hang gliders this way, going XC, so I know the
cars can take it.

Tim Ward