Old October 18th 04, 10:15 PM
Mark Grubb

One technique I have sometimes heard described is to dive for
the deck and complete the remaining distance in ground effect.
For the sake of the argument we can assume fairly flat ground,
free of obstacles, though not necessarily landable.

Would it perhaps work better against a strong wind gradient
(as I suspect it might), and maybe not help a lot in calm
conditions ?

I'd be interested in any hard data/analysis or otherwise
enlightening comments on this.

USAF Test Pilot School Candidates did this as a student project 10 yrs
+/- ago. Used a G103 and found that one was definitely better off
flying speed-to-fly u\into ground effect and then leveling off.
Probably diving down would be better in a strong wind gradient but
determining the gradient and what speed-to-fly through it would be
operationally very difficult.

You could probably get a copy of the report from USAF TPS at Edwards,
CA.