Old October 27th 04, 04:39 AM
Bill Daniels

"Ulrich Neumann" wrote in message
om...
Except two strokes perhaps.Point taken though.

The only problem is that you need to be able to turn cabin heat off and

on
so that would involve high pressure, high reliability valves, two

expensive
radiators and high pressure tubing. Perhaps a closed circuit heat

exchanger
to a water filled system would work. Now you've added perhaps 3 - 4 kg

of
radiator and tubing plus another 4 or 5 litres of water. Hmm, one can

see
why the exhaust muff got in there in the first place.

Ian

Not quite so, Ian. The oil cooler would always be cooling the oil,
just what you do with the warm air downstream from it is the issue. A
simple vane valve diverts the warm air either into the cabine or out
into the atmosphere. Simple and light-weight!

Uli

Once while droning through a cold, wet and bumpy night I got to thinking
that of all the things I could be worrying about, the worst was that 2mm of
red hot steel separating hot, poisonous exhaust gasses from the cabin air.
Exhaust muffs are scary.

It's one of the reasons I enjoy flying gliders more than airplanes.

Bill Daniels