Old November 22nd 04, 09:14 PM
Eric Greenwell

Michel Talon wrote:

Eric Greenwell wrote:

The Schleicher factory uses a CO analyzer to tune the Wankel motor in
their self-launching gliders. I'd like to do it this way, as it gets a
good tuning more easily and quickly than the usual fiddling around with
the needle valves until everything is running right.

Isn't it possible to arrange with an automotive mechanics to do the
tuning for a small fee? Here nearly all these people have a CO analyzer.

I tried this initially, but nobody wanted a 60 foot glider assembled in
their parking lot, blowing a lot of air and dust around, nor did they
feel it was safe. I don't blame them - when you are standing 3 feet from
a 5 foot propeller turning 2000+ rpm at full throttle, it really gets
your attention! They also were uneasy about doing work on an aircraft,
since they are not certified for that.

I also tried to borrow or rent one of these instruments, but the only
ones I could locate were not portable: they were part of a heavy,
roll-around cabinet that weighed over 150 pounds, contained several
instruments, and could not be conveniently taken to the airport (or
anywhere). Nor did any of the owners want to let a $4000-$5000
instrument that they depended on for their employment leave their sight!

There are enough (25 or so) ASH 26 owners in the US that some of us
could buy a CO analyzer together, then ship it around the country as
needed. This might be only 3 or 4 times a year, as the engine doesn't
need tuning very often. Sharing ownership would cut the individual's
cost to less than $150. If we can locate a suitable instrument, that's
how we'll likely proceed.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA