Old January 2nd 05, 04:35 PM
F.L. Whiteley

Oh, nearly forgot, one ground launch endorsement completed also;^)

Frank

"F.L. Whiteley" wrote in message
Today, January 1st, we started the day with a pancake breakfast. We had
some guests also, from AZ and the local area.

The wind was a bit uncooperative, at first 30-45knots (ground to 800 agl)
from the west, forcing the use of our short runway. The shear was strong
and resulted in two weak link breaks (red) on the L-23 at the shear line.
The first flight connected with some rotor and soared around a bit as we
repaired the weak link. The wave proved elusive. Before long the wind
dropped considerably and shifted SW, so we moved the winch and launch

point.
After that we had several good launches to the SSW, including several
soaring flights in weak conditions with the Grob and L-23. I think we

made
about 24 flights in all. Furthermore, we now have a new winch driver. As
the daylight waned, the wind shifted again, giving a slight tailing

quarter,
so we finished with a couple of low launches, as reversing ends would have
resulted in very few launches before day's end.

It was a good day, bright, sometimes bracing, but filled with interest,
smiling faces, and flying. The forecast was quite wrong;^)

Happy New Year

Frank Whiteley
Colorado Soaring Association