Old February 26th 05, 11:05 PM
Larry Dighera

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 14:48:17 -0500, "news.mcgraw-hill.com"
wrote in
::

During a review of the V-speeds for an airplane I've never flown before, my
instructor asked me about glide speed vs. weight, and total glide distance.

I got the glide speed vs. weight part right, but the distance part seemed
counterintuitive - that the total distance covered (by flying at the correct
best glide speed for the weight) would be the same, regardless of the
weight.

Can anyone explain this so that it makes sense?

Here's a clue:
http://www.av8n.com/how/htm/power.ht...weight-effects

The short answer is that the L/D is virtually unaffected by weight.

For a more technical explanation, I've crossposted to
rec.aviation.soaring.