Old February 28th 05, 11:21 PM
Dave Stadt

"Tony Cox" wrote in message
ink.net...
"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
news:HJFUd.12332$r55.8014@attbi_s52...
You really should be scared of class D airports.

Totally agree. I'll take uncontrolled over non-radar Class Delta, any

day.

Really? All that money spent on controllers is wasted?

In some cases, yes.

At least in class D, everyone is *supposed* to be on the radio, although
of course vigilance is always necessary. I think what you are really
saying is that danger goes up as the traffic density increases, and class

tends to be busier than uncontrolled fields. I'd take a class D early in

the
morning when no one is around any day!

The non towered airport I fly out of (home base for 350 + aircraft)is busier
than most Class D airports, has 6 runways with 3 frequently in use at one
time, has a ton of NORDO aircraft and is much better behaved than a lot of
class D airports I have been to. Most close call or worse horror stories I
have experienced and heard involved someone in a tower with a radio and no
radar.

Tony (not the same person as Avweb reported today as facing the clink
for falsifying his pilot certificate application!)