Old March 14th 05, 04:17 PM
Shawn

Want to purchase suitable sunglasses for the upcoming season. Search of
old threads turned up info several years old. What are the requirements
for a good pairr of good pilot's sunglasses.Tx.

Avoid polarized lenses. Some LCD instruments will look black through
them. I've read that some canopy/glasses combinations produce weird
artifacts, and they can block out a significant portion of reflected
light off of another aircraft's wings, just as they block glare
reflected off of cars and the road while driving. To me this takes away
a good visual cue that other traffic is in the area. On the plus side
they cut down glare and improve sky/cloud contrast. Amber tinting can
do a lot of this as well.
Wrap-around style shades block that annoying side light you get when
thermaling, where the sun comes in through the side and reflects off the
inside of the lens (I suspect a good antireflective coating would help
with this too). Watch out for cheap wrap-arounds though. The optics
can suck near the edges. I wear Rx Oakleys with a moderate neutral gray
tint. Love em.

Shawn