Old March 24th 05, 07:39 AM
Roger

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 07:40:12 -0600, "Jim Fisher"
wrote:

"Roy Smith" wrote in message news:roy-
They are also getting increasingly sophisticated. I used to be able to
tell immediately from the shoddy graphics that it wasn't the real thing.
Not long ago, I got one phishing for my Citibank info that I couldn't tell
apart from the real thing.

Well, perhaps cosmetically. There's so many other clues that it is a scam
that one has to wonder at who would actually respond to these things.

My profession has been computers since 1990. I've noted the scams
have gotten far more realistic in the last 6 months.

Only some one who knows enough not to use the new ones even if they do
appear to be legit would escape. That means the vast majority of
usres are vulnerable and without a clue.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Recently, I received a very legitimate SunTrust Bank scam. I was bored and
decided to go ahead click the links and fill out the form with required (but
fake) information. Y'all ought to do it sometime. It is quite interesting.

They asked for my name, address, phone number, mother maiden name, Social
Security number, bank account & routing number, and other information that
was very personal that no bank would ever request. It is very difficult for
me to imagine someone who would be so naive or stupid enough to actually
enter real information.

I consider it Digital Darwinism. Some folks just don't need to own a
computer.