Old April 1st 05, 04:20 PM
Bruce

Malcolm Austin wrote:
Hi Bruce,
we are lucky here in the UK with one radio station (Classic
FM) who during the 1200 to 1400 stint have listeners requests. They not
only give the names (people ask for the Mission theme, not knowing the real
name) but later on you can pick it up on their web page.

My knowledge of classic music has come on greatly since they arrived on the
scene. The are also happy to play less "high brow" music so even more of the
film stuff makes it through. (can' beat Michael Kamen's theme to the Band
of Brothers for a sad bit)

They have a web presence and often get lunch time requests from our old
"colony" !!!

Cheers, Malcolm...

"Bruce" wrote in message

Nyal Williams wrote:

At 19:30 30 March 2005, Bruce wrote:

Nyal Williams wrote:

SNIP

But the main thing about these videos with music underlay
is that the music doesn't fit - regardless of style.
It ought to be like a ballet or movie music. Just
laying down a piece of music under a video is a little
bit like putting pickles in icecream just because you
like both, or like putting a 42 long jacket on a short
38size man. Doesn't fit and doesn't support the video.
It is multi-tasking at best; at worst, one gets in
the way of the other.

Indeed - The music has to sort of fit the action. Personally I prefer to
listen to my music when not flying gliders, and visa vrsa.

Mr Morricone composed the music for numerous films (mainly westerns like
"The Good the bad ad the ugly")but also the score for "The Mission"
featuring a rather beautiful piece called "Gabreil's Oboe"

Would go well with some parts of soaring. But better on the big screen...

You probably would recognise it - if not the composer.

Hi Malcolm

Classic FM gets requests from the "old colony" because they are based in
Johannesburg - Braamfontein on the corner of Jan Smuts and Jorissen streets.

Great improvement in the selection of stations to listen to since they came
along. One of our members used to do an investment talk show which has now moved
to other stations because of ownership changes at Classic FM. On one notable
occasion we had to remind him that he was supposed to be on air 100km away and
5,000" lower in half an hour.... The interview was conduced over a mobile phone
in the end.

Cheers
Bruce