Old April 12th 05, 03:25 AM
L. R. Du Broff

Roy Smith wrote in
:

I saw an approach mistake the other day that I've never seen before.
We were flying the VOR-A @ 12N
(http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0503/05026VA.PDF) and were a little off
course (in good VFR conditions). My student looked up at about the
right time, saw a runway, and went for it. Unfortunately, it was the
wrong airport.

True confession time: about fifteen years ago, I was headed for the
Bahamas with the family. I filed for Georgetown with Miami International
Flight Service and got a briefing. Specifically asked for notams, was told
there were none. Arriving vicinity of Georgetown, I saw the airport a few
miles before I expected to. Double-checked the chart, which showed only one
airport in the vicinity. Calling on memory from a previous trip, probably
ten or fifteen years before, I was pretty sure that the airport was a bit
further, just over that group of low hills, but here it was right in front
of me and the chart said it was the only airport. It seemed a bit strange
that runway 10 was marked with Roman Numerals, but I figured that was due
to what appeared to be new construction at the approach end, so I assumed
displaced threshhold, and landed long. At which point I realized that the
whole darned place was under construction -- terminal building, runway,
taxiway, etc. The Bahamians on the big yellow construction equipment were
laughing and pointing. I took off, flew just over the group of low hills,
and there was the Georgetown airport, right where it was supposed to be.

Once in the terminal building, I read the posted notam (the one that Miami
IFSS did not give me), warning about the new airport under construction,
just to the west. No harm done, but embarrassing!