Old April 14th 05, 01:35 PM
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Grumman-581 wrote:
"Mike Spera" wrote in message ...
Opinions on this one vary. I leave the valve where it is and switch
after burning off about 5 gallons (climb to 2500' plus 10 minutes of
cruise).

For my first tank switch, I like to be over something that I wouldn't mind
landing on or at a high enough altitude that having the engine stop would
not be too exciting of an experience... Subsequent switches, I'm not as
paranoid about...

I took off from Marsh Harbour once in a Cherokee Six with the fuel selector on
the tank that I'd arrived on. About two minutes later I was gliding back down
waiting for the fuel tank I should have been on in the first place to start
supplying fuel to the engine. Stupid.

The Cherokee Six had four fuel tanks and lots of opportunities to run tanks dry.
I take off on the fullest tank now, no matter which one I arrived on. As for
where I switch tanks, it's more when than where. I don't particularly care
where I am as long as I have sky under me. Cherokees aren't known for their
superior glide characteristics.... or quick restarts.

C-210s... now they restart quick! They all should do as well.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE