Old April 15th 05, 08:26 PM
Doug

I always try and fly an approach in actual with the minimum of
manuevering. It seems in training the emphasis is to fly an approach
with the maximum of manuevering. So when I do some hood work with an
instructor, I usually have to verify which program we are on. I also
like to spend some time on departures, which I think are just as
difficult as approaches, when done in actual. As usual, your mileage
may vary.

I have always thought it was unecessary to do a hold if you are already
established on the final approach course. I see no reason to do a
procedure turn if you are in this hold at the correct altitude. I
certainly hope the regulations agree. I know that ATC agrees with me.
They don't want me up there going around in circles, unless they've
told me to.