Old April 16th 05, 01:05 AM
kage

One helpful point:

When changing fuel tanks, keep your hand on the fuel selector valve for
about 30 more seconds and monitor the fuel pressure gauge.

If the fuel pressure drops or the engine quits your hand will already be on
the valve to re-select the good tank.

In my childhood I flew a Beaver amphibian out of King Salmon. The procedure
to maximize the available fuel was to run the tanks dry from the rear to the
front. A beaver has fuel in the belly in two tanks (a bad place and most
Beaver crashes involve fire.)
I could rest my hand on the fuel selector valve and watch the fuel pressure
gauge. Once the fuel pressure just started to drop the tank could be
switched quickly without the engine quitting.

Karl
"Curator"
N185KG