Old May 5th 05, 03:43 PM
Dudley Henriques

"Dave A." wrote in message
news:bqoee.15830$c86.1122@trndny09...
"Dudley Henriques" dhenriques@noware .net wrote in message
ink.net...
Of course a lot of the people I've known in aviation worked daily in it's
most dangerous environment. When you work in this arena, you have a
tendency to learn early on what's important and what isn't important in
life. The back stabbing and nit picking found at almost every level of
the outside professional work place for the most part doesn't exist with
these people.

Forgive me if this comes out wrong, bit this reminds me of a few things I
discussed with my wife. She had problems with a few acquaintances that
imposed themselves as friends. They would set lunch dates with her and
give her grief if she did not accept or would cancel. Each meeting she
would find draining because these "friends" would complain about their
lives endlessly.

So I had to tell her a little thing I learned years ago that helped change
things, "Just because the phone rings doesn't mean you have to answer it."
This helped me when I was an Auxiliary police officer here in New York.
An unarmed volunteer in a very real police uniform walking the beat in
Queens. There you learn early on that just because a person is yelling
profanity doesn't mean you have to yell back.
You learn that flashing a badge doesn't mean squat to a person that is
just plain ****ed off, and also that no amount of reasoning will stop a
person that wants to rant. Working in this capacity one would think
"well, real cops have it easier because they have guns and people respect
that." Well, that isn't true. They have it worse.
You would think you could tell a person while in a police uniform that
"there is a power line down ahead, you can't drive down this road," that
they would not yell at you " I HAVE to get down that road. Nope.
You know what works best there? You say, "well you can't" and you direct
your attention elsewhere. They mutter and drive off. Arguing just
prolongs the incident.
So,

This brings me to my way if dealing with Usenet and it has a lot to do
with what you say here;
"you have a tendency to learn early on what's important and what isn't
important in life"

ignoring the knuckleheads "phone calls" is the first step to getting
something from usenet besides a headache.

--
Dave A
Aging Student Pilot

The first thing you learn in flying is NEVER to put much faith in general
analogies. They don't work for various reasons.
On Usenet, the old "ignore them" analogy usually ends up right back out here
on Usenet, being laid out by someone for someone else, as nothing more than
absolute proof that the analogy doesn't work in the first place.
:-)
No my friend....unfortunately it's man's basic flaws and individual
personalities that will determine how communication is carried out on
Usenet, not the old "ignore um" analogy.
But it sounds good anyway :-)))))

Dudley Henriques