Old August 1st 03, 05:15 AM
Teacherjh

I'm not sure I agree.

With what?

I am not sure I agree that a non-pilot (or non-instrument-rated pilot) should
just turn on the autopilot if they end up in IMC (or even if a non-pilot needs
to take over for a disabled pilot). An autopilot can take you quickly to where
you don't want to go, and didn't think you were going to be headed.

One needs to understand how to work the autopilot first, and know what it's set
for (and what needs to be un-set, if anything). Ditto a GPS - the advice often
given to non-pilots acting as pinch hitters is to use the GPS - fine but the
GPS is often a fussy device that takes the head out of the windshield, to the
detriment of the flight.

The interface is hard enough for a pilot, let alone a non-pilot facing an
emergency.

But, once mastered it's handy.

Jose