Old May 16th 05, 02:19 PM
Jack Linthicum

Arved Sandstrom wrote:
"Andrew C. Toppan" wrote in message

I'm trying to figure out the BRAC logic in the realignment of NAS
Brunswick, Maine. The plan is to relocate all the planes to NAS
Jacksonville but keep Brunswick open as a Naval Air Facility.

[ SNIP ]

I must admit that I am curious about this too. AFAIK, NAS Brunswick

is not
only the last full service DoN flight installation in New England,

it's the
last full service active duty DoD flight installation in New England.
Considering its location, one would think that you'd want to keep the
capability there - not because the Canadians are going to attack, but
because it's near major traffic routes for shipping and air, and sort

of at
the pointy end, considering things like 9/11. Also, it's well-located

in the
sense that it does not particularly encroach upon urban areas...which

*is* a
problem at NAS Jacksonville.

As you stated, Jeb has a bit more pull than John Baldacci. It's

politically
better to **** off Maine than to **** off Florida.

In the course of doing some Googling to reply to this, it was

interesting to
find out that Loring AFB was the second largest AFB in the US, until

it
closed. Interesting SAC site:
http://www.strategic-air-command.com...Loring_AFB.htm Exactly

similar
comments as per NAS Brunswick - closest location to Europe and the

Middle
East, unencumbered airspace, ideally situated for tanker support etc

etc.

One can only assume that Cuba is next on the attack list.

AHS

As a sort to token ****ing off of Jeb the Naval Ordnance Test Unit is
scheduled to move to Kings Bay, Ga.,after 2008. It supports missile
testing on Trident submarines and also has launched ballistic missiles
from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station.

Although the Pentagon's closure list shows no more than 195 jobs
leaving Brevard with the unit, the move also could affect
private-sector engineers who do contract work for it, said Capt.
Jeffrey Gernand, the commanding officer.

Most of those engineers, 400 of them, work for Lockheed Martin. The
future of those jobs would be up to their employer.

Lockheed Martin spokeswoman Julie Andrews [ and you thought she had
left show business] said the company's workers
will continue on as planned, including those on the Navy's Trident D-5
nuclear missile program, the so-called "Center for Excellence"
announced in February.
http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbc...20050514/BASES...