Old August 20th 03, 04:04 PM
Ron Natalie

"jeff" wrote in message ...
Simon
I had put a garmin 430 in my old plane, it was IFR certified, any ifr certified
GPS will have to have the supplement in the POH, but yes a IFR certified GPS can
be used in place of a VOR/DME , but you have to have back up equipment in the
plane, ie.

Actually, all you need is an alternate that doesn't require the GPS. But if you
have a 430, you don't need any other equipment provided you can find a destination
that only requires VOR/LOC/GS. It's not redundancy for the 430, it's possible
systemic GPS failures they're guarding against.