Old May 21st 05, 05:24 AM
Sport Pilot

Roger wrote:
On 18 May 2005 06:04:00 -0700, "Sport Pilot"
wrote:

Roger wrote:
On 17 May 2005 07:02:02 -0700, "Sport Pilot"
wrote:

Ron Natalie wrote:

The maximum Takeoff Gross Weight limit for a C-150 is a legal
limit,
not a physical limit.

The physical limit isn't much higher. And you run out of

payload
SPACE probably before you hit that...

You'll run out of ability to maintain level flight long before

you
get to the structural limits.

On a cool day a long runway and some patience the physical limit

is
much higher. Don't know how much but I wouldn't be suprised if

it
could be double on a winter day. Add a 150 or even a 180HP

engine
and
the physical limit is huge.

Ahhh... actually no. With the larger engine the useful load is

less
in the case of a 150.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

You are talking about the legal limit! We were discussing the

actual
physical limit. The amount a terrorist could take up. He won't

give a
damn about what the book or law says, after all he won't be here to
prosecute.

The 150 is going to handle just so much weight. If more of it is
taken up by the engine it is not going to be able to lift as much

load
be it legal or not.

One of the reasons for the gross weight limit is the stall speed. I
think you'll find it goes up in a hurry when the 150 is over weight.

The Deb can handle one whale of a load, but I once had some guys

fudge
a bit on what they weighed and on a very hot day.

If it happened to me now I'd just pull the throttle and taxi back,
then leave with at least one less passenger. It'd make a good, "I
learned about flying from that" story.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Why the hell would a terrorist give a flip about the stall speed? The
extra 50 horse power makes the plane climb like a raped ape, lower
stall speed or not. The only real reason to limit the gross weight is
the structural limits in high turbulance. The regulations for sudden
high vertical and horizontal acceleration and deceleration likely to
only occur in a thunderstorm. A terrorist attack is not likely to occur
in a T storm The C150 has a stall speed of 55 and lower with flaps. It
can go up to 70 or so and still be operational, especially with a bunch
of HP up front. The extra weight up front may even help the terrorist
as he can put more weight in back and still have a useable CG.