Old May 21st 05, 04:54 PM

Ted wrote:

OtisWinslow wrote in message ...
This guy was like 69 years old and it's sure questionable how
up to date he was. The account I read said when intercepted
by the Blackhawks he totally froze and the student pilot
had to take over and land the plane. His flying career needs
to end.

There's no excuse for not getting a briefing and getting
the NOTAMS. I don't leave the ground without getting
a briefing and I fly in a low traffic part of the country.

A little Garmin consumer GPS receiver ($140) with a proximity waypoint set
to 15 miles around the Washington monument wouldn't have been a bad idea
either.

A guy age 69 who still flys (well, until recently) perhaps could afford a
Garmin 196 or 296, perhaps learn how to use it, have a current database, and
have a really good shot of staying out of ugly airspace. ~