Old May 23rd 05, 12:13 PM
Mac

Jim wrote:
Mac wrote:
Why is the Kitty still in service?

Perhaps the material condition overall? Attributable to the rotten

XO's
we had over the years doing their jobs.

Recall once when pierside at NORIS the Enterprise was tied up there

as
well. Looked like a rust bucket. Word had it that AIRPAC felt the

same.

If the same standards are still being maintained it wouldn't be any
surprise. I'm sure the aircrew here who've served on several boats

can
provide many comparisons.

ACC USN ret.
NKX, BIKF, NAB, CV-63, NIR
67-69 69-71 71-74 77-80 80-85
&
74-77

Founder: rec.aviation.military.naval
RAMN

My first hand knowledge stopped in 1972 when I left the America.
During 1971 and 72 I visited Saratoga, Forrestal, Kitty Hawk, Oriskany,
and Hancock. Being a typical sailor all the other carriers seemed
better than America - but that was a very subjective opinion.
I, too, heard rumors of unacceptable condition just prior to
decommissioning. There were (are) persistant rumors that the America
was to be a Nuc but was pushed out as a conventional carrier with parts
borrowed from many other decommissioned vessels.
I do know that there were many problems with major systems during the
'72-73 cruise.
Most of my earlier questions were more retorical that actual. I
realize why America was decommed and then blown up but it still give me
pause.