Old May 24th 05, 03:52 PM
Sport Pilot

Steve wrote:
Sport Pilot wrote:

I think most of us know that torque is only a force and you need

speed
(RPM) to develop power. More speed is more power. Or was there

some
other point you are trying to make?

II think the point is that there are TWO ways that do an equally good

job of increasing power. More TORQUE is more power too.

Since power=K*Torque*RPM, the result is that if you hold the speed
constant and double the torque, you get double the power. There are
diesel engines in this world that develop 20,000 horespower at only

150
RPM. Naturally, the torque value is astronomical. No, they don't fly.

;-) They swim.

Why the obvious apple and orange comparision? I can show you a model
diesel engine of less than 1/2 cubic engine that turns about 10,000
RPM? So what. A large engine is going to turn less RPM because of its
rotation mass. You need to compare engines of equal size. The model
diesel engines will not turn as fast as the gas or methanol/nitro
engines because the fuel (ether and kerosene) will not burn as fast.
But they will put out more torque than the other two types, though only
marginally more than gasoline. This is because the fuel burns slower,
not because of the cycle, because all, the spark ignition gas engine,
the glow plug methanol/nitro engine, and the compression ignition
engine, are actually otto cycle engines.